Wednesday 12 August 2015

Barney the Bakers' Boy

For my birthday, mum bought me a gorgeous book called "Purely Primitive Dolls" by artist Barb Moore. In it, she describes techniques and designs for making one-of-a-kind primitive dolls out of old, preloved fabrics and materials. 


I furiously dyed my way through a whole rag bag in preparation for this, and although I came out with pink-stained hands and frizzy hair smelling like coffee, I think it was well worth it. All of Barney; his body, his hair, his clothes, the stuffing, is made from rags and hand dyed materials.


He was actually supposed to have two eyes, but I got very overexcited and managed to break off a needle in his head when stitching the second button on, so I had to leave it as was with bits of black thread hanging out. Mum loves it, thinks it looks "folk".


With his full outfit; tunic, trousers and a bakers' apron (which was actually a cloth that I mopped up a spilled puddle of coffee with during the dyeing process, and discovered I loved it. So I added some jam as well, just to complete the look). I absolutely enjoyed making this doll so much, and it was so quick and easy because I wasn't worried about perfection.


Barney and the book by Barb!

No comments:

Post a Comment