Monday 10 August 2015

A Doll Day in Hastings

Today we drove to the seaside for a day in the shade (it would be 'in the sun' but you know what England's like). Hastings is full of amazing little antiques, crafts and charity shops, one of which is displayed below.


After shopping, I decided to take a few snaps of my new dolls (unfinished) because it's not often I get a chance of a different backdrop than my back garden.


This is the witch doll, who has yet to be named (or faced). she has a black silk dress with lace detail and a pair of matching shoes with socks that have red button buckles to match her red button handbag.


This is Jeanette, who has a name obviously, and was the first to be made as part of a long boring day in front of the telly during jet-lag. I have absolutely no idea where any of the fabrics came from for her outfit, but I have been told her top resembles a liberty print. I certainly didn't buy it in Liberty's, more like Age UK!

Below are the dolls on the desk, gives you a better idea of their size.


I also made a little green tweed-esque coat for Jeanette, and I loved working with the thicker fabric; it made it feel much more substantial than cotton, especially the thin cheap stuff I have knocking around.


One last shot of "the girls". This was seconds before the wind took off and blew Jeanette over the side and down a 20 foot drop to the pebbled beach. I had to clamber over the railings and trump down the beach with my skirt blowing all over my face.


Hell, it was worth it. Can't go to the beach without making a bit of a tit out of yourself, I always say. Hopefully I'll get time to put some faces and hair on them, unless I decide I need to do something else instead and call them "replica Amish dolls"!


No comments:

Post a Comment