Monday 8 June 2015

Small Bear - Simple Sewing!

Had a hankering to try something new the other day, so I decided to experiment with ways to make small toys. It keeps me off the street-corners.


I put TWO layers of fabric through my embroidery hoop, thinking that it would cut out all that fiddly turn-stitching later on. After cutting it out, I realized my mistake; I had no way of putting the stuffing in. So I attacked my poor little bear with a needle in the stomach.


Having artfully stuffed him with wadding, I stitched him back up with some bright yellow thread; bright yellow because I thought Hey, Might as well make it look like I meant to do this. I like to pretend he's had surgery or maybe it's a girl who has had a Cesarean section. It's all a bit gruesome for a two inch tall linen bear.


Small dog paw for scale (Molly the Model)


Made a very simple folded cotton dress; a square folded in two, cut into a T shape with a hole for the head before sewing up and turning right side out. The cotton I bought off amazon, it was dirt cheap and I knew it would be thinner than cheap gravy which is perfect for making small clothes (thin cotton, not thin gravy).


So all in all not a difficult bear to make, will certainly take less than an hour and could be made by children or in different designs/scales for effects. Have a go!

No comments:

Post a Comment