Tuesday 30 June 2015

Craft Classes in Kyoto: Painting Dorei Dolls

Possibly the best time of my life was the time I spent in Kyoto, Japan in 2013. Hopefully, with a bit of luck and a bit of finagling I might get to go back... Anyway, whilst in Japan, I dragged my poor unsuspecting boyfriend to do a number of craft activities (most of them traditional Japanese where possible) and I got to experience some wonderful crafts and meet some lovely craftspeople.


Here, at the Kyoto Handicraft Centre, I painted a Dorei doll, which is a small clay doll with a bell in it that sits on a little red pillow. It was such fun! The people there were really helpful and kind, even though I spoke barely any Japanese at all (they speak good English). You can also do many other traditional Japanese handicrafts here; we also did Woodblock Printing on an original woodblock set, but all the photos had people in who might not want to be on the internet.


If you are planning a trip to Kyoto and enjoy trying new things, even if you are completely cack-handed, I really suggest you check this place out! The Website of the Kyoto Handicraft Center

No comments:

Post a Comment