Monday 8 June 2015

Deer oh Deer

Since before the end of term, I have been absolutely dying to have a go at making some interesting dolls. For some reason I got stuck on the idea of making a Deer, because even though cat dolls are always incredibly cute, they are very popular and I like to break the mold because I am arrogant.


I cut the fabric above out, and toyed with the idea of using fabric for the arms and legs, but decided that I would try a new wire technique (described below). I originally wanted to make a mother and daughter deer, but the mother took all evening so the daughter may have to wait!


I sewed each top to each bottom, then sewed them together. Obviously I made a complete cack of it and ended up sewing the right side to the wrong side on BOTH pieces, so each doll will have an inside out back end. I told myself it gave it an air of "rustic".


To make the arms, legs, and antlers, first I took a small piece of thick wire and bent it double. I then threaded brown embroidery floss through the hole and tied two knots securely to the wire. Then I wrapped the floss around and around, as tightly as possible, sometimes tying knots or threading it through the wires to further cement it.


I used a fair amount of floss, but I think it gave a really nice look. I knocked up a few bits of clothes and after attaching everything in place with yet more surreptitious use of embroidery floss, and she was done.


Posing with the daises.


I drew on her eyes but used a button for her nose. I think that sometimes a doll needs the eyes to be a bit more characterful than a simple button, but sometimes they suit it.


Without any clothes on; her undergarments.


I haven't given her a name yet, but she was very fun to make. Have a go at the wire technique because it is so simple yet gives really nice results; the limbs can move and be bent into positions! 
If you would like to purchase this doll or any of the art pieces on this site please email me at c.erinharris@gmail.com. I have no idea what I would charge for any of it and it's all badly made but hey, some people like that!

No comments:

Post a Comment