Monday 6 April 2015

Patchwork Story Quilt (Small)


This is actually the first quilt I ever made, a bit ambitious maybe but I think it came out alright (if a bit indistinguishable). It is very small, as you can see, but I'd actually advise making a small quilt for your first try as you can make mistakes and learn the techniques without worrying about wasting miles of fabric!


This quilt, like the one previously posted, is a simple square patchwork that I speed-pieced together. Unlike my other quilt, this one has a design that I tried to create, a story I tried to tell (see if you can guess it before I tell you. Don't be worried if you can't, it's a bit "abstract art" by which I mean it's kinda rubbish)


It's meant to be a house, in front of a wild woods, with a patio, flower garden, at the edge of a lake. I really like interesting, unusual quilts that tell a story, or form a picture, because they do so much more than keep you warm! Of course, the perfection of some of my friends' quilt creations in the traditional designs are nothing short of art; I have neither the patience or the skill for such works, so I aimed in a little different direction.


I would someday like to make a beautifully pieced traditional design quilt, like those shown at my local quilt fairs and at the national Ally Pally show each year. But you have to start somewhere!


I practiced a little hand sewing with some embroidery threads, and tried a few experiments (using lace to form fences, and cutting flowers out of larger designs on fabric to use as decoration) but it obviously still needs work.


My favourite bit is the beading and free quilt embroidery I did on the border of the lake. If you have never tried free quilting on a machine, it is so much fun but can feel very scary to begin with. I managed to sew straight through my left index finger, but thankfully it was on a test piece so there is no blood on the quilt. Also I am more clumsy than your average toddler so it's not a real threat to anyone with even basic control of their motor skills.


I challenge you now, to create a little picture, or a landscape, or maybe a recreation of a photograph, in square patchwork with a little embroidery (or a lot of embroidery!) because it is so much fun, and creates really interesting, unique pieces. Also it is great for using up those pieces in your stash that you hold on to but think how am I ever going to use this black fabric with huge print tomatoes?!

No comments:

Post a Comment