Monday 6 April 2015

Free Motion Quilting Sampler


This is a free-motion quilting sampler that I made one afternoon as an excuse to try out my mum's new exciting sewing machine. I had two pieces of white fabric, sandwiched a layer of batting in between, and sketched out a design of two books in black felt-tip pen. I loaded the machine with variegated thread, so I wouldn't have to keep stopping to re-thread.


Quilting without the feed dogs is equal parts thrilling and scary (unless you enjoy roller-coasters or bungee jumping by which it's probably quite boring). You have to start slow, with some easy, manageable shapes, so I did the border with a row of curled circle scribbles.


Once you get a little bit confident you can try some really fun things. I tried writing words, doing some strange shapes or colouring in the back of my book sketch. You can get a bit carried away, because the possibilities are anything you can draw with a needle and thread.


Look up some art quilts or "free motion embroidery" for some inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment